How is living as a Property Guardian different from being a tenant?

Ad Hoc operates through licence agreements between it and our ‘Property Guardians’.  This means that Property Guardians do not have the same rights as tenants, although they are still protected by The Protection From Eviction Act 1977.  If either party want to terminate the agreement, they only need to serve 28 days’ notice.

How much does it cost per month?

Fees can range from £160 per month upwards, it all depends on the type of property, where in the country it is located and the size of the room being offered.

Are there other up-front costs apart from the licence fee?

We request a holding fee equivalent to one weeks – Licence Fee to reserve a room for 2 weeks. This fee is non-refundable if: (i) you fail your referencing; (ii) you do not move in of your own accord; or (iii) you provide us with false or misleading information. This applies to your employment and income status, any undeclared CCJs or your overall suitability as a Licensee.

Before moving in, we also require a deposit equivalent to five weeks – Licence Fee. Please note if you have paid a one week holding fee, this will be deducted from this amount. You will also need to pay the portion of your Licence Fee to cover the remainder of the current month and the full amount for the following month. You will also be provided with a complimentary Welcome Pack.

What are my duties as a Guardian?

There are no real duties, all we ask is that you live in the unit on a full-time basis, keep an eye on the property, keep it clean and tidy at all times, assist Ad Hoc if we need access, report any problems to us and abide by the Ad Hoc house rules. We explain these rules to you before you move in and they are also listed in the Guardian Handbook which we give you.

What happens if something goes wrong with the property?

If there is a maintenance problem you can notify us by phone, email or via our website and we will arrange to fix the problem as quickly as possible. We provide a 24×7 number for emergencies.

Can I live with my partner?

We only grant licences to individuals, not to couples. This doesn’t mean that you can’t live in the same place, just that each of you will need your own licence. You will then be allocated two spaces within the building.

How much notice do I have to give you?

We only require 28 days’ notice from you to leave a property.

How much notice do you have to give me?

If you have to leave the property, we will give you 28 days’ notice.

Where are your properties?

We have properties all over the UK. Please call us for the latest availability.

How much are the bills?

It’s difficult to say, we manage all types of properties. In some cases bills can be included, in other cases you may be responsible for them, either way we can advise you when you enquire.

Can I decorate my room?

This depends on the building, but most units can be painted in a light colour if you first obtain written permission from us.

Are the rooms furnished?

All units are unfurnished but we can advise you where to get low cost furniture.

What facilities are provided?

All buildings have bath or shower units and a cooking area which vary in size depending on the property. All facilities are normally shared with other Guardians living in the property. Keys are provided to the building and to your own unit. If a guardian wants to replace the lock to their unit, it will be at their own cost and they must provide Ad Hoc with a copy of the key so that we can carry out our regular property inspections.

What about internet/ telephone connections?

We don’t provide these in any buildings. With permission you can have one installed, although due to the temporary nature of the accommodation we recommend a portable option such as a dongle instead.

How big are the units?

Units are often generous in size but vary depending on type of property. We allocate property and units on a first come first served basis as we aim to secure properties as quickly as possible.

How long can I stay in a property?

The length of time we look after a property varies from building to building. When the owner needs the property back, we will give you 28 days’ notice. At this time we will try to place you in another building if you would like to continue as a Guardian.

What happens if I go on holiday?

We ask you to notify us if you are going on holiday or will be absent from the property for any other reason for more than three consecutive days.

What else do I need to know?

All Guardians are expected to live by a code of conduct which covers health and safety and consideration for fellow residents. We provide this to you when you sign your licence.